Explore Washtenaw County Historic Districts

Geer School
Geer School is a one-room, red brick school house named for the first school director, William Geer, and built by Joseph Warner of Ypsilanti. This site represents an important era in Michigan education and was a center for community life.

Popkins School
Popkis School is a one-room, brick school house built in the Italianate style and named after School District No. 7’s  first superintendent. After a fire and years of neglect, a successful preservation endeavor stabilized the structure.  Preservation efforts continue today.

Esek Pray House
Esek Pray House is an 1839 two-story brick Greek Revival residence that is part of the large farm purchased by Esek and Sally Hammond Pray. Esek Pray participated in the first Michigan State Legislature and was Justice of the Peace in Superior township for 24 years.

Milton and Kittie Geer House
The Geer house is a ca. 1884 brick Italianate home of Milton and Kittie Kimmel Geer with many intact features of the Italianate style. Some of these features include cast iron cresting, carved wooden brackets, and matching rectangular one-story bays.

Gordon Hall
Gordon Hall is a Greek Revival house constructed by Calvin Fillmore, brother of President Millard Fillmore, for the first judge of Washtenaw County Judge Samuel W. Dexter. The house is part of the 67-acre farmstead that remains from the original 1700-acre estate. Gordon Hall was also known to be a station for the Underground Railroad.
National Register Nomination for Gordon Hall

William and Jane McCormick Farm
The McCormick Farm consists of 160-acres purchased in 1831 by William and Jane McCormick, now consisting of 13.65-acres with an 1838 brick residence. This site has multiple agricultural outbuildings that evoke Michigan farm life in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Old Zion Parsonage
This vernacular Gothic Revival parsonage formed the center of the hamlet at Rogers Corners. It played an important role in the German agricultural community, and was the site of much religious and social history in Western Washtenaw county.

McMahon Springs
McMahon Springs includes an Italianate farmhouse on 1.4 acres of land with a dairy barn converted into a garage. The landscape includes three springs, a trout pond, meadow, and a vegetable garden. James McMahon was a prominent business man and politician during the mid to late 1800s in the Ann Arbor area.

Merriman Farm
This 78-acre farm includes a 19th century farmhouse, two barns, an outhouse, and a pig house within a wetlands, woodlands, and open fields landscape. In 2006, this property was honored by a historic marker from the WCHDC. It is also protected with open space easements held by The Legacy Land Conservancy.

Conant Farm
Conant farmstead consists of two early nineteenth century farmhouses and over a dozen agricultural outbuildings/objects that represent the evolution from an early nineteenth century homestead to an early to mid-twentieth century truck and dairy and farm. The property also includes farm structures moved from the Willow Run Bomber Plant site, and open space easements held by the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy.

USS Washtenaw County Artifacts
This display includes memorabilia from the USS Washtenaw County (LST-1166) tank landing ship named in the County’s honor. It was launched in 1952 and was deactivated in August 1973 after serving in the Atlantic and Pacific, including Vietnam, and received multiple awards.

East Delhi Bridge
The single-span Pratt Through Truss Bridge spans the Huron River just south of Huron River Drive. This is the only bridge in Michigan to receive local historic designation. It is also individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Originally constructed in 1883, it was rebuilt after a tornado in 1917.
National Register Nomination for East Delhi Bridge

Jarvis Stone School
This one-room, irregularly coursed rubble stone school house was built in 1857 and named in honor of an early School Board Member, William Jarvis. The Jarvis Stone School continued operation as a school until 1967. At the time of closure, it was the oldest existing school in Washtenaw County. This building now houses the Salem Area Historical Society. The property also includes the oldest timber-frame barn in Washtenaw County, which was built in 1830 by John Dickerson.

Kramer-Kuebler-Adler Farmstead
This property consists of an upright and wing farmhouse, smokehouse, ca. 1940 garage, chicken coop, windmill, large pre-Civil War bank barn with an attached tool shed,additional tool shed, and pig barn. Few original features have been damaged, replaced, or removed, and most of the farmstead remains intact. The farm has retained its historic context and appears much as it did during the late nineteenth through early twentieth century.

Thornoaks Neighborhood
Significant for its collection of Mid Century Modern single-family residential architecture. A majority of the homes, and the neighborhood itself, were designed by local architect James H. Livingston and local contractor E.E. Kurtz.
                                                              **Now available: Thornoaks Design Guide**

2018 Historic Districts

Download the Washtenaw County Local Historic Districts brochure

Visit our Jauntful website for a printable resource guide.